TAS Kindy Toileting & Nappy Change Policy
Toileting and Nappy Change Policy
The Centre recognizes the importance of working with parents to assist children in toilet training as well as the need to instill proper hygiene practices whilst accessing the toilet. The following procedures are to be implemented consistently by all Centre staff to assist children in developing the ability to toilet independently when they are developmentally ready.
Relevant Laws and other Provisions
The laws and other provisions affecting this policy include:
- Child Care Act and Regulations
- Commission for children and young people and child guardian act (2000)
- Staying Healthy in Childcare - Fourth Edition
- Staff will offer frequent toileting opportunities to children who are toilet training
- All children shall be actively supervised whilst accessing the toilet facilities.
- Children shall have access to the unisex toilets located in the Early Years Learning Centre
- Adults shall have access to the disabled toilet located in the Early Years Learning Centre.
- In addition to transition times, children shall be regularly reminded to go to the bathroom.
- Staff will wear gloves when attending to both soiled and urine accidents
- Children will not be hurried and positive reinforcement will be used
- Staff will ensure hand washing is completed after toileting
- Any soiled clothing will be placed in a bag, named and dated, and placed into an airtight container, ready for collection by the parent or guardian. A tag will be attached on the child's bag to notify the parents of clothing to collect.
- Toilets and bathroom will be cleaned during rest time and at the end of the day, or as required.
- For the purposes of Excursions, the following procedures shall be implemented to ensure the safety of children while using the toilet:
- The toilet cubicles shall be checked for safety by a staff member before being used by the children.
- A minimum of two staff members shall be present when possible to supervise children's use of the toilets.
Nappy Change Procedures
- Children wearing nappies should be checked frequently and changed when needed
- Nappies are only to be changed in the designated nappy change area
- Prepare change area with a plastic bags, wipes, paper towel barrier, clean nappy and clothes before placing the child on the change table
- Always keep one hand on the child during changing
- Gloves must be worn for all nappy changes and soiled underwear changes
- New paper barrier is to be placed under each child at each nappy change
- Remove nappy, wrap securely and place nappy in a plastic bag
- Remove gloves by pulling them off from the wrists, turning them inside out and place in the plastic bag
- Put a clean nappy on and dress the child
- Wash the child's hands
- Remove child from the changing area and wash the change mat with hot soapy water and then dry the mat with paper towel.
- Dispose of the nappy bag
- Wash your hands vigorously.
- Change mats are to be washed and disinfected at lunch time and the end of the day.
Dated: January 2011