Bruce H'way Upgrade Updates for TAS White Rock
The Department of Transport and Mains Roads has commenced work on the 3.4km upgrade of the Cairns Bruce Highway between Sheehy Road (Forest Gardens) and Ray Jones Drive.
From Monday 23 July 2012 there will be a permanent change to traffic conditions at the intersection of the Bruce Highway, Forest Gardens Boulevard and Progress Rd at White Rock. The left turn into Forest Gardens Boulevard from the Bruce H'way and the right turn into Progress Rd from the Bruce H'way will be permanently closed.
- Alternative access to Forest Gardens Boulevard from the south will now be via Foster Rd at Mt Sheridan.
- Alternative access to Progress Rd from the south will now be via Coombs St at White Rock.
- Access to both roads from the north will continue to remain the same for the rest of this year.
From Monday 30 July 2012 there will be several short-term lane closures on the Bruce Highway, at the intersection of Forest Gardens Boulevard and Progress Rd, White Rock. These will occur prior to 6am and again between 9.30am and 3.30pm each work day for up to 5 weeks.
For up to date traffic reports please call 13 19 40, visit www.131940.com.au or follow 131940_FNNQ on Twitter.
Over the next three months the contractors, CairnsConnect, a joint venture between BMD Constructions and Albem Operations will be undertaking the following works:
- installing new culverts and drainage
- commencing works on the highway centre medians
- installing permanent messaging signs and fencing
- continuing earthworks operations at Red Hill, near the cane railway line
- protecting and relocating services such as fibre optics, power and water within the project corridor
- commencing construction of the two new parallel service roads on the eastern and western sides of
- the highway
- permanently closing the left turn from the Bruce Highway into Forest Gardens Boulevard; alternative access will be via Foster Road
- permanently closing the right turn from the Bruce Highway into Progress Road/Sheehy Road; alternative access will be via Coombs Street
- commencing earthworks, piling and bridge construction works on the half diamond interchange at
- Sheehy Road/Forest Gardens Boulevard and on the highway overpass at Ray Jones Drive.
Normal working hours for this project continue to be between 6am and 6pm, Monday to Sunday. During this time, noise and vibrations will be generated as a result of the bridge piling and construction works.
It is anticipated that the overall piling works will take up to four months to complete, weather permitting.
During the bridge and construction works vibrations may be noticeable to the occupants of properties located adjacent to construction areas, however all equipment, including piling and compaction equipment, will work within the limits set by the Australian Standards. Vibration levels will be monitored closely to ensure these limits are not exceeded.
Over the coming months, minor lane closures, diversions and reduced speed limits will continue to apply to most roads located within the worksite, including Forest Gardens Boulevard, Progress Road,Sheehy Road, Kowinka Street, Anderson Road and Rigg Street. Off-peak lane closures, diversions and reduced speed limits will also occur along the Bruce Highway and Ray Jones Drive. Traffic controllers and signage will be in place to safeguard pedestrians, motorists and road workers, with variable message signs used to provide commuters with information about any detours or potential delays.
For up-to-date information on traffic disruptions visit www.131940.qld.gov.au or phone 13 19 40.
For more information on the Cairns Bruce Highway upgrade works boardering TAS White Rock please contact the project team:
- Telephone: 1800 657 724
- Facsimile: 07 4035 1566
- Mail: Cairns Bruce Highway Upgrade Project: Reply Paid 85041, PO Box 994, Bungalow Qld 4870
- Website: www.tmr.qld.gov.au - enter a search for Cairns Bruce Highway